The process of not writing

February 10, 2019

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 I don’t write. The only thing I do that even comes close to writing is probably reading. Should I write this entry on how I read. Nah, bad idea. I used to write. Not in English, in Bengali. Does it matter? I used to write; mainly poetry and micro fiction. School essays that I submit are nothing I consider to be writing. Because honestly they aren’t really what I wanted to write most of the time. I sometimes feel as if the school submissions are always about what I wanted to write and not really what I should have written. But that also goes for other cases too. Is this why I don’t write? Is self-contradiction something that just always has to be dealt with?

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 I do however agree with the first draft being a very important idea. It may be absolute shit and it may not reflect what I really want my writing to show but it is very helpful in the process of beginning to think and at least imagine what the text I’m about to create is going to look like, or how I want it to look like. A very significant idea about being in a creative process be it writing or anything else is that whatever the product is going to be in the first few tries is not going to be perfect or desired. The idea of perfect can be argued and I personally follow a route where I see Perfect or Absolution is something that our language can merely say or mention but can never really articulate. That’s a different topic however. This idea of the first draft or the first try not being faithful to the image that you have as a creator has to be almost consciously enforced at all times when one is in the act of creating. Sometimes even the final attempt will not be what you wanted to reach, and that’s Okay. We can really not reach the final but it’s the act of reaching for it that gives us something that we can maybe call our creation or Art if we want it. The text(can be a text or painting or idea or theory or a song) has a becoming and it isn’t instantaneous and most of the time it is also our becoming as an artist and it takes time. The idea here is really the process of opening up the multi-dimensions by starting something up and that’s important as a writer.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 In the article Haruki Murakami talks about a parallel career of running and writing. How they started at the same timeline. And how the idea of running has helped him to sustain a lifestyle of an author which can be unhealthy at times. And here Murakami sort of actuates the idea of physical health working as a form of philosophy for his writing and that sort of a lifestyle.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 I normally have nerve racking anxiety while I write or start to write. As of now I really haven’t found any solutions for that. The video about listening to music may work for the author but music is most certainly very distracting for me when I’m writing because I tend to focus on the sense of hearing too much and sometimes lose my chain of thought or ideas.┬áThere are other small factors too. Influences; sometimes I write a line and I feel like this is influenced by him or her and I just stop and leave that idea. I do think influences are very helpful in isolating ideas or style or form from an array of structures that we can approach a subject or subjects from. But ultimately authenticity in the product is essential for me.

2 Responses to “The process of not writing”

1.   Eunjeong Lee said:

I’ve just read your post after reading many others’ posts, and I’m left with this question: Why do we have so much anxiety about writing? (myself included) Does this have to do with the situation where we often associate writing with? (i.e., school, grades, teacher-student power difference, etc.) Is this about the way we think about writing (i.e., writing reflects the authentic self–however you define the authenticity)?

But also, your last point about finding authenticity in the product is something I’ve been having difficulty with (not so much for myself, but for my students). Very honestly, here’s my question: How do I get students to find the writing situation “authentic” and meaningful? What helped you in your case?

2.   KelvinYQC said:

I especially liked your perspective of writing as an art. Knowing how to weave and create an engaging text is critical in delivering a message or even a great story. Some people prefer music when they write, some don’t – and that’s ok! This only just reaffirms the idea that writing is an art. Whatever inspirations the author absorbs is reflected in the final product through the long tedious process of drafting, revising and repeating until near satisfaction.

Which also makes me agree with your other point, it’s really lame schools expect you to potentially write about things that aren’t necessarily your groove and sometimes it’ll show. I know I almost butcher my essays with subject matters that I have no interests in. Though at least some instructors allow some freedom within some sort of boundary.