Impression, Sunrise

February 22, 2019

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 If I think back on it my first sponsor would be my brother. Although indirect I would say because we had an age gap of 12 years. So we never got to talk about anything in that sense. Specially regarding books and literature. He had a large collection of books in his room. They were mostly detective stories by Bengali writers. A few Sherlock Holmes stories and some other books. But those were the books I read when I began to get into the habit of reading. Which I lost eventually. There was this flood back in 06 I think and our house went partially under water and all my brother’s books got ruined. I couldn’t get to read most of the books he had.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 Another sponsor in this case direct sponsor would be a teacher I had in high school(in the USA it would be called elementary school I think?). In the little city of Comilla in Bangladesh. I used to go to this teacher’s house to take lessons. Me and about twenty more kids. The room was right outside a lake. I was in eighth grade I think? Although he taught physics and math and chemistry; sometimes we would have different days. One day I remember he came in and said today I don’t feel like teaching. I want to sing a few Tagore songs. Do you guys wanna listen? And that moment I remember clearly as after that I felt it really made me see him in a different light. He brought up philosophy, religion, arts often into the conversations. And of course politics. He used to tell me Imran you have a nice smile but you’re a devil on the inside. I still wonder what he meant by that. His name was Kamal Uddin.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 After High School I moved to the capital. Started living in hostels with other kids. It was the free life any 14 year old would want. The college(High School equivalent in the US) I went to was Notre Dame College. And that was the turning point in my life. It was the big city and the change from a boy into a man? Not that I think I am a man I am a shell of a human being. I met Arif, Zishan, Ucchash. We used to sit together in class. After school we sat down in the train station and looked at the trains and all the people. We talked about politics, aesthetics, religion, philosophy. But what fascinated us the most was poetry. We were crazy about becoming poets. The “craziness” associated normally with artist had a huge impact on us. Van Gogh cutting his ear off, hart crane jumping off a ship, shamim kabir taking his own life at his own house. It all started to blur. I often say friendship can breach the idea of individual separateness. And in our case it did. We had huge impacts on each other. I used to say nothing can be more personal and dearer than the face of a friend. Not even the friend himself.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 As I moved to the US three years ago in 2016 I had already kind of set up a way of thinking for myself. And so far no one that I met after moving here has had an impact big enough to be mentioned. Mostly I guess because I reject the Anglo-American idea of language and learning.